Monday, August 8, 2011

The Top 10 Team Fortress 2 Hats

Ah, my first post. Hopefully this is the beginning of a beautiful thing. So, to start out this blog, I'll be making a list of what are, in my opinion, the top 10 hats in Team Fortress 2, and why they are the ten best. Maybe I'll even add pictures of them. That's a lot of work... but, hey. I've got time. Oh, and remember: these are just HATS we're talking about; miscellaneous items won't be included on the list (sorry, Physician's Procedure Mask).

HONOURABLE MENTIONS
Some hats that just fell short of making the list... 

THE LIST
  Without further ado...

10. Ol' Snaggletooth
 CLASS: Sniper
 READ MORE: Here

The Ol' Snaggletooth is one of the most popular hats in the game for a reason, and that reason is it's just plain awesome. With no other hat in the game can you say that you are wearing half a crocodile's head on yours. It also ties in with the Sniper's Australian heritage nicely. A definite favourite amongst new and hardcore players alike, the Ol' Snaggletooth is for sure one of the best hats in the game.

9. Gentleman's Gatsby
CLASS: Medic
READ MORE: Here

Definitely a "love it or hate it" hat, the Gentleman's Gatsby seems to polarize the TF2 community like few other hats do. A select segment of the population loves it, while a seemingly greater portion considers it one of the worst hats in the game (its unofficial nickname is "the liver hat"). I happen to be in the former group. I love this hat because of its simplicity, the fact that I very rarely see other medics wearing it (helping me stand out,) and I also happen to own a gatsby. So there.

8. Fancy Fedora
 CLASS: Spy
READ MORE: Here

The very first Spy hat ever released also happens to be one of my favourites. A classic "detective" hat, the Fancy Fedora provides a subtle, suave look as you backstab a member of the opposing team, all while keeping the sun out of your eyes thanks to its wide brim. Now if that isn't a reason to put this hat in the top 10 list, then nothing is.

7. Vintage Merryweather

CLASS: Pyro
READ MORE: Here
The Pyro has some of the best hats in the game, and the Vintage Merryweather is definitely one of them. The Pyro is kind of unique among the characters because, as far as hats go, he (she?) is sort of the "anything goes" character. What this hat has to do with the Pyro's character is anybody's guess, but what isn't is the fact that it is freakin' awesome. There's a reason this hat is so sought after, particularly in its vintage form (and it's not just because it is then called the "Vintage Vintage Merryweather").

6. Ye Olde Baker Boy
CLASS: Scout
READ MORE: Here

Another relatively simple hat, but it is just so great. I'm not a big fan of most of the Scout's hats, but this one is an exception. Not only does it look great, but... well, it looks great. There isn't much else to say about this hat, other than if you play a lot of Scout, wear this.

5. Tippler's Tricorne
CLASS: Demoman
READ MORE: Here

Just when you thought nothing else could make the Demoman look more menacing, this hat came along and did just that. The Tippler's Tricorne is a great-looking hat for more than one reason, and though I know I may get some flak for putting this on the list above fellow Demoman hat the Hustler's Hallmark, I must say that I prefer this one overall. Maybe it's because I've always secretly wanted to be a pirate, I don't know.

4. Killer's Kabuto

CLASS: Soldier
READ MORE: Here

The Soldier, along with the Pyro, is in possession of some of the best hats in the game, and this is without a doubt one of them. Not only does it cover the Soldier's eyes (as all of his hats should,) but it successfully makes him look much taller and therefore more intimidating. There's a reason Spartan soldiers wore those giant mohawks on top of their helmets. So, cool-looking? Check. Fits with the character? Check. Always me to reference a historical event in my description? Check. Top 10!

3. Sergeant's Drill Hat
CLASS: Soldier
READ MORE: Here

I think this hat's description sums it up best: "This hat is a handy replacement for profanity-filled ranting when you don't feel like shouting yourself hoarse." Need I say any more? Probably. So here: it fits the character of the Soldier, it looks great, and plus, it looks similar to the one worn by the drill sergeants in Half-Life: Opposing Force (another VALVe game). Need I say any more? Hopefully not.

2. Hotrod
CLASS: Engineer
READ MORE: Here 

Of all the hats in the game, the Hotrod probably does the most. By that, I mean that it not only sits on top of the engineer's head during normal play, but when the player goes to construct a building, the visor falls down over his face. Come on; if that's not cool, I don't know what is. Add in the fact that it looks pretty awesome anyway, and you have one of the best hats in the game.

1. Triboniophorus Tyrannus
CLASS: Pyro
READ MORE: Here

I like Futurama. I like Team Fortress 2. When I saw this in the game, and realized that these two things I liked were coming together, I liked this hat. A lot. Not only is it one of the few hats in the game to be equipped with jigglebones (meaning it moves around on its own,) but it is also a combination of two amazingly awesome things. Like chocolate and peanut butter, beer and ping pong, or chocolate and peanut butter mixed with beer and ping pong, the Triboniophorus Tyrannus is fantastic.

"Pyro's flight had a stopover on the brain slug planet... Pyro enjoyed it so much he decided to stay of his own free will..."

No comments:

Post a Comment